Saturday, June 15, 2013

Yar!

Today we ventured to Vergennes (pronounced Ver-genz because Vermonsters are weird) to the Lake Champlain Maritime Museum.  It was about an hour from our house south of Burlington.  Gorgeous area with wonderful views of the mountains and very close to Lake Champlain.  What I saw of the museum as I chased a tornado by the name of Ethan looked pretty cool.  I might like to go back.

I should have known this trip was ill fated from the get-go.  But I went into Griswald mode:  We WILL have fun!  There were several factors working against me.  One of which was completely outside of my control.  Due to children sleeping in . . . yea, let that one sink in . . . we were running late.  Then Toby got tired again shortly after waking up and decided he needed to take a nap at 10:30.  Yea.  So, I let the wee sleep.  Finally at 12:30 (I had planned to BE at the Festival at 11) I woke up the tiny wee and threw the kids in the car.  Ethan seemed fine but my Mommy Senses should have reminded me he needed to eat more than a few grapes in the car.  Rookie mom mistake.

So when we arrived he was in full on "No" mode.  No to everything.  That 3 year old stubborness reared its mighty head.  Again, Griswald mode kicked in and I pushed and cajoled and pointed and talked in excited (hopefully not too annoying) tones.  Toby totally wanted out of the stroller and in on the action.

I didn't get to document the event as I would have liked, wrangling a fussy kid in a stroller and a 36lb snapping turtle in Ethan's clothes proved challenging.  But I did get some pretty good shots later on.  The "pirate ship" was pretty cool and Ethan made friends with a wee turtle.  He ix-nayed pretty much all the crafts but I did get him to glue a Jolly Roger on a pirate hat and he liked his treasure chest (even if I did 99.99% of the decorating.)  He REALLY enjoyed filling his treasure chest!  In the end, he did have fun and he talked about the day fondly on the way home. 

We wrapped up the day with the purchase of a foam sword (not pictured and also not allowed in the house) and some ice cream.  The drive back home was blissfully peaceful with two sleeping boys and one Mommy who needed a nap too.

Okay . . . Pictures!
Ethan & Toby (who was not impressed by the whole thing.)

Gorgeous day on Lake Champlain
On the "pirate ship!"

Ethan's Wee Turtle Friend (and piggybacking dragonfly.)

For some perspective - here is the wee turtle on the rope (SO WEE!)












Ethan's pirate hat!

The Treasure Box (full of treasurez!)

Toby Wee

My little captive

Ethan's pirate-y tattoo!

Smiles!

Yarrrrrr!

















No comments:

Post a Comment