Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Shelburne Museum (of Awesomeness.)

This past Saturday we ventured to the Shelburne Museum for their Circus-Palooza celebration. 

Now, when I think of a museum, my brain naturally pings back to my meanderings in previous museums such as the Musee D'Orsay, Louvre and the American Museum of Natural History.  You know, generally one building that you walk around INSIDE of to see the goodies.

Well, this "museum" is located on 45 acres of land, most of which are gorgeous gardens and a smattering of buildings (39 to be exact, 25 of which are historic and have been relocated to the Museum grounds.)  And also um, a 220-foot steamboat Ticonderoga.  Here, evidence: 


It was crazy busy, the wrangling needs were strong with the eldest and so I missed out on some awesome "circus-y" pictures.  I captured a few from inside but mostly took pics when we were wandering the grounds because Ethan is always happier when he is free-range.  They had a juggler that was seriously magical, an acrobat dude that did a lot of handstands and balancing feats and a trapeze artist that, while her trapeze was a bit abbreviated, still impressed.  Here is the one shot worth sharing - this dude was the ringleader and had chosen a child from the audience and got her to balance on his hand!


 Also, Toby couldn't see anything and he wanted out.


I joined up with a group of moms from the former MOMS Club of Burlington and it was really nice to see them all again.  Also, it is nice not to be "that" person wrangling two kids amongst a bunch of adults (insert exasperated sigh expressed by said adults.) 

Sadly we saw probably 5% of the property and exactly ONE of the buildings if you don't include the Gift Shop/Entrance but we will go back.  There is a carousel and the aforementioned BIG boat.  There are many, many of the buildings that are kid friendly (other than the Owl Cottage which I did capture on film - that being the ONE building we perused.)  Also, I changed a diaper on the floor IMARULEBREAKER!

Look who is just STANDING there.
All the awesome fings Ma!
Brudders at the train table.
Happy E-fin
What would you like to eat?  A lil' leg O' Toby? 
I bought a year membership as every mom I spoke with said it was well worth it and I, personally, can't WAIT to go back.  My only qualm, quibble, what have you . . . is that the Gift Shop through which I exited the museum grounds is rife with expensive (but oh so pretty) baubles and breakables.  I nearly had an apoplectic grand mal seizure heart attack fit when Ethan started waving around a giant candy spear of destruction.  We all survived though.  And Ethan has a wonderful time despite the rough start. 

Here, have some pictures - LOTS OF THEM:

A Creemee!  (Which is the "name" for soft serve ice cream in Vermont.)
Apparently this is the cafe where they serve yummy food.  But I only got to see the 1% that comprised the bathroom.
The "lighthouse."

One of the many gorgeous apple trees.
Lips, just you know, hanging out.
So, of course, I had to take a zillion pictures of E on the lips :)
I mean, he is just too awesomely cute for words sometimes!
Just hanging out . . . on lips.
Also a very large chair.
One of the little garden areas.  Ethan loved the water feature and statue so much that it was a near thing keeping him on the path.  Also, this area had the most gorgeous baptisia plants I think I've ever seen.  I never knew they could get so big!
Toby was not impressed.
But he was still very cute.
Some of the views on this gorgeous day.
I'm pretty sure I would have liked whatever was in that building.  To its right is the "Gift Shop" exit area.
So, it was a good day.  We will be returning one weekend to ride the carousel and explore the boat and maybe even the Toy Shop they have (I know!)  I can't call this a "hidden gem" but I'm still very thankful to have finally "discovered" it.

2 comments:

  1. Is Toby flipping you the bird in the circus tent "I want out" photo? You're going to need to keep an eye on that one.

    Also, they have changing tables conveniently located in TWO places for 45 acres? That rule needs to be broken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha I hadn't noticed Toby's err, hand gesture but it sure looks like it! They must have more changing tables - but I sure wasn't uprooting a happy Ethan and re-loading the stroller to find one. I'm a diaper ninja anyway, it was done in a nanosecond :)

      Delete