Sunday, July 7, 2013

A July Birthday Day

So, we celebrated Toby's 1st birthday on Saturday, July 6th which also happens to be my sister, Aimee's, birthday.  I still wish I could have stolen her birthday but stubborn bum down baby and the 4th of July holiday thwarted the plan.  Aw, who am I kidding, you can't plan that crap.

I digress.  Before I begin . . .
HAPPY BIRTHDAY UNNA!!!!


Okay, now onto the wee Toby's Birthday Party.

As first birthday parties are inevitably more for parents than children, I picked the theme.  My Neighbor Totoro is one of my favorite children's movies for many reasons.  One being I love Hayao Miyazaki films and the other is that the totoros are ridiculously cute (see the Chu Totoro above.)  I may or may not have considered getting a pair of totoros for a tattoo in honor of the boys . . . this might be why Matt bought me a car decal instead.  Maybe.

Here is a link if you've never heard of it.  It is okay, most people I talk to about Totoro give me a funny look:  My Neighbor Totoro

There is the big Totoro:

And then the medium one is Chu Totoro:


And the wee one is Chibi Totoro:

I didn't want to spend too much money decorating but I did buy t-shirts for the boys and myself.  Matt color coordinated, so I give him props for that, even if he refused to wear a Totoro shirt.  It was a small affair with really good food.  Thanks to some pretty fabulous in-laws, the food was purchased at Healthy Living, an awesome local organic and whole foods store (also where the cupcakes/cake was purchased.)  And more thanks to my awesome sister-in-law for assisting me in last minute preparing of food. 

The cake was ADORABLE.  The cupcakes were not what I had originally wanted.  I didn't want the whole TOP to be a soot sprite but what can you do when you are being rushed by a terse and very busy baker dude?  Also, as you will see via the upcoming picture brigade, I really should have stripped Toby of all articles of clothing.  I knew he would make a mess but wow.  Just . . . wow.

Pictures!  Enjoy!

The banner I made Toby.  Acorns are gifts left by Totoro and his wee companions.  As a side note - I made that valance!)
Spread in progress.  That wee precious girl is my niece, Ammi!
The spread.  Almost all either gluten free or vegetarian!
Totoro cake for Toby, Soot Sprite cupcakes for guests and 2 gluten free acorn cupcakes!


Lemon Berry Soot Sprites!
My Neighbor Totoro Lemon Berry cake!

Okay now I must say that I failed horribly at taking better guest shots.  I'm usually pretty camera happy but there seemed to be a lot going on.  I did snap a few but realize later I didn't get the good, "Say Cheese!" photos I usually do with each guest.  Here are the few I did take!

Matt wrangling wee ones.  Dan and Laura in the background and Huxley (who turned 1 two months ago) on the far right!
Kay, my mother-in-law!
Maryann and Anna my most awesome of neighbors! 










Ethan thoroughly enjoyed his cupcake as well and Ammi did her best to steal a bite!
Big brudder E-Wee
Sneaky Ammi with the cutest Pebbles 'do ever.


Okay, now what you've all been waiting for . . . 

CAKE CARNAGE!!!!

Oh my, this cake is tasty.  (As he rakes Totoro's FACE OFF.)
NOMNOMNOM
Heaven in a handful.  P.S.  I cut the cake in half at one point so the adults could have some cake (I scraped the icing off the top to avoid the ingestion of a 1 year olds hand germs.)
Do I have something on my face?
This stuff ROCKS!
Mouthful of cake!  Allllll the cake!
Lil' stinker :)
Cheeeeese!  Good thing I wiped down his face a few times, those nostrils were getting full!




In case you were wondering he cleaned up fairly easily.  You know, a million paper towels and a bath later!  Also, those lil' gel sticks of OxyClean stain remover stuff work GREAT!
Alllll clean!

My big boy *sniffs*

P.S.  I envision this to be Toby in the future: Cake

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE it all. I wish I could have been there to celebrate with the Vermonsters! I love you G-fur.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah!! Jen I think he looks a lot like you did as a wee child! Thanks for sharing!! Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! What a wonderful post and AWESOME CAKE & BABIES & TOTORO! I love you so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a fantastic day for a terrific boy! And I <3 Allie Brosh, dying to get her book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love her too! I didn't even know she had a book - on my "list!"

      Delete