Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Series of (Un)Fortunate Events

So as I've mentioned, my father-in-law passed away a few weeks ago.  On the heels of arriving home from said trip to Maine I found out my father was in the hospital.  Like, 4 hours after we got back from Maine.  The next few days were a blur of waiting by the phone as I received updates and the mega-wrestling that I did on whether or not I should go. 

In the end, I went.  Scavenging clothes from one suitcase to put into another much smaller duffel I headed out with the littlest in tow.  While my father was mostly "out of the woods" (pun so very intended) by the time I arrived I was incredibly thankful for the family time I had.  Dad got to see Toby without Ethan around to suck up the attention in the way only a 3/4 year old can.  Toby has been working hard on walking and Dad got to see the progress in just 4 days.  Those milestones are special and once in a lifetime.  I'm very thankful he got to see them.

So, in the "find the silver lining" way that things happened in the past few weeks we got to see a boatload of family.  While I would never want a family member to die in order to pull us all together, that is exactly what happened.  We traveled to the family farm in Maine and the boys got massive time with loved ones near and far.  We then traveled (well, half of us) all the way to Florida to get as many hugs in as we could in a short amount of time.  Again, I wouldn't want a family member in the hospital to be the catalyst again but this time it was the kicked in the derriere to get me down there. 

But now, after most major events, I seem to have lost my brain.  I don't know where I left it but I'm hoping I find it in one of the partially unpacked bags.  I'm quite certain I'm forgetting things.  I'm so very discombobulated at the moment it is comical.  The vacuum left behind after a massive dose of upheaval.  There will always be "something" in life to keep us on our toes.  Let us hope we are done with death and hospitals for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment