Tuesday, September 3, 2013

School Days

Ethan's first day back at preschool was today.  He was beyond excited.  Most especially because we had the open house last week and he DID. NOT. WANT. TO. LEAVE.

It was a hard adjustment when school was over for the summer.  He was quite convinced that everyone else was still there and he was the only one missing all of the fun in the world.  By the time I had him convinced that he wasn't missing the most epic of daily parties at his closed preschool, he started summer camp.  He LOVED summer camp.  They let the kids run like wild monkeys, fed them snacks that we don't buy and he must have played on at least 6 different play grounds in the 2 months he attended.  He is a very lucky boy!  But I think he forgot what his "school" even looked like after so much time at camp.  The Open House was like a doorway into those cherished memories and he was very upset when we left.

So this morning when I woke him up, he was bright eyed and bushy tailed and didn't even give me any guff.  He was ready to GO!  When I dropped him off he just disappeared.  I was busy speaking with his teachers, signing him in and assembling his cubby and he just melted into the gaggle of kids.  Attaboy.  This year is a bit different as well.  Owing to many things, Matt made the final decision to have Ethan attend 4 days a week with extended hours so he could pick up/drop off and save us a boatload in gas.  Not to mention that Toby's naps have been falling right around when I was scheduled to pick up Ethan. 

At first I had reservations about Ethan attending so many days for so long.  However, the first day went swimmingly.  He came home in a wonderful mood and completely energized.  I felt strange not knowing things that I would ask during the "general mom check in."  Things like how long he had napped, how much did he eat at lunch and how was his behavior?  Matt didn't know any of these things.  But Ethan wasn't starving when he came home (although he ate great at dinner time,) and he wasn't so tired he was a mess.  He was . . . well, he was wonderful.  Looks like it wasn't too long for Ethan.  We will see by Thursday if the honeymoon period starts to tarnish but I'm betting he will love ALL his time at school.  Plus, he can catch bugs there.  Today's bug count was 2 grasshoppers.

(Storytime:)  When we arrived in Vermont mid-December I had a very tough time finding a preschool that would enroll Ethan since he hadn't turned 3 by September 1st.  I didn't want to arrange for daycare for just one year if I could get him into preschool where he would be learning.  After much frustration over age requirements, distance to travel and time actually spent at the preschool (how is 2 hours worth it?!) I was referred to The Balancing Act Enrichment Center by a wonderful woman at Costco (of all places.)  So glad she did.  They might not follow the Regio Emilia approach to teaching or have academic awards (yet,) but they have all the right stuff for my boy.  Weekly gymnastics lessons paired with gym time every day give him the physical outlet that he so desperately needs.  They have different rooms set up in the preschool like the Discovery Room (where they have fish and birds and a big sandbox, etc., etc., (all awesomeness) and the Imagine Room which is a dress-up pretend DREAM.  Ethan does learn there as well.  He can sing his ABC song and is working very hard on writing his name.  But really, at 3 years old, the most important aspect to ME are the social and physical needs that are met.  They taught the kids through an ingenious reward system the importance of being safe, polite and respectful.  They are super clean, serve REAL food that is home cooked and try very hard to serve organic and fresh foods when they can.  I feel very blessed that they are only 15 minutes away as well!

First day of school - no jitters here!!
He is a ham, but I love him to bits and pieces.
 When Ethan arrived home from preschool, he had this poem:

The Kissing Hand

It's my first day of Preschool
And I'm thinking of you.
I made these precious handprints
So you will thank of me, too.

It's my first day of school
And "The Kissing Hand" is what we read.
It's about a raccoon
Who did just as his parents said.

Like the raccoon's first day at school
I was scared and a little shy.
But because of what you said
I was brave and I got by.

All through the year
I'll make more things for you.
So as I change and as I learn
You can witness my growth too!

Ethan's hand print with his kiss in the middle!
There were instructions for parents as well.  We were to trace and cut out the outline of our hand and give the center a kiss with lip balm.  Matt was reluctant but I felt it was important to have TWO hands for Ethan!!

Mommy hand/kiss and Daddy hand/kiss.

I'm pretty sure that Ethan won't need to reference back to our kissing hands, but you never know.  He may seem all grown up going off to school but he is still my Ethan Wee (age 3.) 

And in case you were wondering, Toby had a tough nap striking day.  However, he still knows how to bring the cute.  Now, I'm not saying he needs a haircut (NEVARRRRRRR) but his hair does get in his eyes so I found a cute solution . . . . 

Next stop . . . WhoVille.

No comments:

Post a Comment