Sunday, October 13, 2013

I Heart October

It is no secret that October is my favorite time of the year.  I'm not too pleased that it has reached the high 70's (and I swear we hit 80 at some point yesterday and today) this month.  However, it should be cooling off in the upcoming week so I'll let it slide.

When we first moved here I had a whole list of activities I wanted to accomplish for the boys.  Berry picking, apple picking and pumpkin picking were high on the list.  In a week we will be hitting another highlight but you will have to wait for that reveal!

So, while we weren't really going to be buying pumpkins (we already have quite a few at home) I still wanted the boys to experience a pumpkin patch.  We could have gone back to Mazza's (where we went strawberry picking) but we have inside connections to Whitcomb's Pumpkin Patch.  That is right . . . I'm connected

Our Friday playdate friends joined up with us for some corn maze and pumpkin fun.  Since it was so hot they served lemonade instead of coffee/cider.  See October . . . failing me.  We also had the foresight to arrive when they opened so it wasn't too busy.  The corn maze was HUGE and I later found out it was planted in the shape of Vermont.  I was dutifully impressed!  My friend and her adorable boys live down the street from the patch so they have had the pleasure of going through the maze many, many times.  Her eldest let Ethan lead.  Um, yea.  Pretty sure we went in about 12,000 circles but that is okay.  The boys had fun!  And then when they emerged they got candy (well, Toby didn't.)

Also, they had a sandbox which was pretty awesome.  You will notice in the pictures that Toby pretty much has a binky in his mouth the whole time.  There is a reason for that!  I let him go binky free the minute we got there and as soon as he found the sandbox a huge handful went right in his mouth.  Yup, that binky is protection!

It should be noted that we had one of the wettest springs in the history of the state seeing record rain fall amounts two months in a row.  Whole fields were underwater for long stretches of time.  This means that crops like corn (and pumpkins) didn't grow to the size they normally would.  But, in my opinion, the corn was still plenty tall.  Although, for the first time in a long time, Whitcomb's won 2nd place for the biggest pumpkin at the fair.  I'm certain next year they will reclaim the throne!

Gorgeous fall day at Whitcomb's!
Ginormous scary pumpkin!
The patch (rather, the spread.)
Dapper boy showing off some Indian Corn!
Lil' Brudder was equally fascinated.
Lil' hands . . .
Toby picking out his pumpkin (spoiler: we didn't get that one.)
The sandbox!

Moments after this photo was captured, Toby put an enter fistful of sand into his mouth.
Just love the fall colors!
GOURDS!
Corn maze time!
Into the corn . . .
Free-range Toby.
Not *quite* as tall as daddy . . . yet.
Strike a pose!  (We made it out alive!)
Some seriously diverse pumpkins.
Back at a friend's house painting pumpkins!  (Toby sat this activity out - opting to play with a roomful of toys and chase their cat.)
Ethan's new smile for mommy . . . *sigh*
Or there is this one . . . *double sigh*
Cutest lil' 16 monther I know.



No comments:

Post a Comment